Love to eat good food?
Learn how to cook.
Welcome to my kitchen! I'm so glad you want to know about how to cook. I love making food. It's the best way to get something really good to eat!
Read the latest recipes and articles I've posted.
Over the years I've garnered a pretty good haul of basic home-cooking knowledge. I've learned how to cook many of my favorite ethnic and international foods. I've been lucky enough to catch on to some crucial traditional information that's been all but lost to time. And I've developed a number of offbeat, innovative tips and techniques of my own. As a result, my kitchen isn't quite like any other.
What are the secrets to great home cooking? Can you learn to cook? Yes!
- Recipes. This is one important tool for learning to cook. But not the only tool!
- Equipment. Think you're a lousy cook? No. You just own bad pots and knives.
- Ingredients. You can't make good food from bad ingredients.
- Attitude. Observing, questioning, experimenting -- it's a delicious discovery trip!
Read the latest recipes or articles I've posted.
- How to bake bread
- Learn how to bake bread the old fashioned way and discover the joy of kneading. Find recipes for all whole wheat bread, and heirloom Old World recipes, too.
- How to make coffee
- Learn how to make coffee using some alternatives to the drip. Rediscover the lost arts of perked and boiled coffees. Learn how to make Turkish coffee.
- How to make soup
- Learn how to make soup. Make great stocks and bone broths at home. Boost flavor and save money with your own soup stocks -- the unbeatable ingredient in wonderful, comforting, easy homemade soups from many lands, right in your own kitchen.
- How to make tea
- Learn how to make tea. Make great-tasting hot and cold teas at home. Save money and be kind to environment with home-brewed teas. Learn about soothing, healing and stimulating teas, tisanes, chai, and other traditional beverages.
- How to make breakfast
- Learn how to make breakfast. A great start to your day is packed with nutrition and low in sugar and starch. Break out the free-range eggs and put away the OJ.
- How to cook beans
- Learn how to cook beans. Make great vegetarian and meat dishes incorporating this versatile and varied ingredient. Once you taste these, you won't want to go back to canned. Cook wonderful, comforting, easy homemade bean recipes from many lands, right in your own kitchen. Save money and gain flavor and texture.
- How to cook greens
- Learn how to cook greens. Make great vegetarian and meat dishes with the freshness, color and flavor you'll love. Forget canned greens and taken advantage of fresh and frozen greens. Cook wonderful, comforting, easy homemade greens recipes from many lands, right in your own kitchen.
- Jamaican recipes
- Learn how to cook Jamaican food and enjoy the flavors that are bright, pungent, complex. Experience the ancient and heterogenous culinary heritage of Jamaica, where waves of immigration (voluntary and otherwise) over the centuries brought together strands of cooking wisdom from Africa, India, China and Europe that have been woven together with the sensibilities of the island's original inhabitants.
- Serbian recipes
- Learn how to make Serbian food using heirloom Serbian recipes from my family and from Serbian friends. Traditional dishes for everyday meals and celebrations.
- Low-carb menus and recipes
- Learn how to cook some of the best low-carb meals you've ever had with these full-flavor, naturally low-carb recipes.
- How to equip your kitchen
- Think you're a bad cook? Chances are, you just need some better cookware. If you like to eat, you owe it to yourself to learn how to equip your kitchen. It's the single easiest step towards learning how to cook.
- Best pots and pans for home cooking
- What's the fastest way to become a better cook? Buy good pots and pans. Here's how to find the best equipment for your kitchen.
- Best knives for home cooking
- What's the fastest way to make cooking easier? Buy good knives, and keep them sharp. Get good knives for your kitchen and make food prep a pleasure.
- Best cutting boards for home cooking
- What's best thing for your kitchen next to a great knife? A great cutting board. Choose the right size, shape and material for your cutting board, pair it with an excellent knife, and cooking becomes a sensual pleasure.
- How to eat sustainably
- Learn how to start eating sustainably. Bring your food closer to home -- you know it's the right thing to do. Get to know where your food comes from. It's not as hard as you might think, and the rewards are definitely worth it.
- Food, cooking and nutrition links
- Find the best food, cooking and nutrition links on the Web. Here's a collection of resources like no other, ranging among links to culinary history, low-carb recipes and science, paleo nutrition, organics and whole food, heirloom cookery, recipe collections and more.
- Food Book Reviews
- Find exciting, thought-provoking books on food, cooking and nutrition around the world and through history. Food book reviews, cookbook reviews and nutrition book reviews. Don't just learn how to cook -- learn what to eat, and why.
- Musings, food news, extra tips and the occasional rant, fresh (sometimes half-baked) from Vesna's brain.
- Buy Cooking With Vesna the ebook cookbook
- Cooking With Vesna, the first cookbook in the How to Cook With Vesna series, is here to incite excitement about (mostly) whole foods cooking from scratch, with an exciting selection of diverse cooking styles from a lifelong journey in food.
- Buy The Low Carb and Paleo Breakfast Book
- The Low-Carb & Paleo Breakfast Book is all about starting the day right with satiating meals made from scratch for whole-foods, low-starch, low-sugar living in a Neolithic world.
New! The Low-Carb & Paleo Breakfast book. Start the day right with satiating foods made from scratch for whole-foods, low-starch, low-sugar living in a Neolithic world.
99 cent cookbook
Special introductory offer! 77 pages of great recipes at an unbelievable price.
Subscribe to the free How To Cook With Vesna e-newsletter and get innovative recipes and cooking tips delivered straight to your e-mailbox!
Other distinctive cooking perspectives
Cookable culinary history.
The Old Foodie
Fun with science.
Harold McGee's Curious Cook
Translating the chef's craft.
A veritable low-carb encylopedia
Linda Sue's recipes
Traditional foods for the modern table.
The Nourished Kitchen
More about nutrition and health
Sick of hearing the same old dumbed-down info in the mainstream? Try these mind-blowing sites. And welcome through the looking glass.
Eat the good stuff.
Cholesterol and Health
Get slim like Misty did.
Free Healthy Diet Plans
Brainy brain food.
Consistently astounding podcast.
Jimmy Moore's Livin' La Vida Low Carb Show
Runners and bodybuilders, check out this paleo-oriented guy.
Mark's Daily Apple
Eat more fat, says this doc.
PaNu: Paleolithic Nutrition
Deconstructing health "news" headlines.
Dr. Michael Eades' Protein Power blog
A leader in helping real food be available to all.
Weston A. Price Foundation